Cutting of serpentinite, history of its use and processing
The utilisation of serpentinite was documented at the beginning of the 19th century, when six citizens from Mnichov founded the first serpentine cutting mill in 1833, in the opposite valley of Mnichovský stream. The mill was well-equipped and employed 30 people; its products were widely popular.

Here, craftsmen cut and shaped serpentine extracted from the quarries of the current Planý vrch nature reserve. In addition to headstones and crosses, the site manufactured ornamental items such as small vases, cups and boxes. Visitors traveling between Mariánské Lázně and Karlovy Vary could browse and purchase these pieces at the showroom and shop in building No. 39. Due to increasing demand, a shop was opened in Mariánské Lázně, which was also visited by the Imperial couple, His Highness Ferdinand and Empress Maria. However, after twenty years of operation, production was stopped and the cutting mill disappeared completely.
Nevertheless, near the original cutting mill, we find another ruin of a large building on the left bank of the stream. However, this cutting mill belongs to a different history. On April 15, 1882, Messrs. Laubisch and Scharf from Prague leased the Munich serpentine mines for 50 years and built a serpentine factory on the left bank below the Siard mill.






In 1900, the cutting mill building was abandoned and moved to Fritz’s Mill. It was located on the right side of the Pramenský stream by the Mnichov – Prameny road. Until 1900, only a sawmill was in operation in the mill. Then, a factory for grinding and cutting serpentine was established in the former mill, which operated until 1905. Then the miller at that time sold the entire mill and the new miller replaced the equipment and operated the mill for grinding grain until 1946. The last owner was Franz Hoffmann.

To this day, ashtrays, paperweights and other ornamental items from serpentine can be found in the inventory of some hotels and spa guest houses in Mariánské Lázně and Lázně Kynžvart. Also, a part of the Cross Spring reservoir in Mariánské Lázně used to be decorated with serpentine tiles. As a reminder of the heyday of Mnichov serpentine manufacture, there is a baptismal font made of serpentine in the Baroque Church of Saints Peter and Paul in Mnichov.


Allow yourselves to be drawn into the stories from nature and history of ‘Slavkovský’ forest
- visit also ‘The house of nature’ in Kladská!
- Follow news from nature and the history of Karlovy Vary region in their magazine Arnika on www.casopis-arnika.cz!